Subject: [Leica] Lecia Street Photography
From: eboehmjr at gmail.com (Eric Boehm, Jr)
Date: Sat Jul 12 18:54:14 2008

Hi George, Alastair & Tina,

Strange times indeed. In my understanding, if people are in a public
place then one can photograph them and present the work as documentary
street photography. If the images are not derogatory, and, in my book,
one does not profit from them financially, then all is OK. Many have
profitted from portraits made in the third world. I am thinking of
$10,000 once offered for one of Salgado's prints of some poor soul in
India, who I am sure never saw a cent of that. Then again, shouldn't
the photographer be able to make a living from his work...As for the
system, it is simply too big, too complex with subterfuge and run by
such powerful forces, that wee folks like us either go along for the
ride, or watch it from the side lines. I have long given up the idea
of somehow effecting change to the system. I mean who has the time for
that? I remember decades ago when the lunacy of the Vietnam conflict
was made apparent and we all said never again, and demanded
traqnsparency from our government. Remember Watergate? Then now
decades later the whole thing repeats itself. Change the system...are
you kidding?

Eric Boehm

--
Eric W.A. Boehm, PhD