Subject: [Leica] When 12mp is just not enough
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Jul 10 12:45:14 2008

35mm (and its current digital equivalent) = great tool for you and
most of us.
When one considers that this new 50mpixel beast will probably deliver
files which only 5x7 and 8x10 could in the  past. It becomes a very
tiny device - almost as your convincing the AD that 35 can do the job
as well as 120.

Bottom line - it all depends what the market wants (professionally
speaking) - or what the photographer wants to produce.

> So does the size make any difference in capturing
> the instant blink of an eye moment shot with a Leica?

Only if one wants to blow the sucker up to 60 x 60 without artifacts
and be able to see the back of the eye behind the pupil.

Some folks make incredibly gorgeous b&w grainy prints, because they
were in the right place at the right time and knew how the instant,
subject, light and grain can work for them.

Others make incredibly gorgeous, grain-less, color prints, because
they worked, walked all day, waited for the light, dragged the proper
gear to the proper place, spent an hour framing the shot.

Apples and oranges? probably - and yet both understand what their
tools can do to advance their vision of the world and hopefully ours
as well.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com