Subject: [Leica] Another first..Slide film
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Jun 29 16:46:10 2008

Hello Yama. To all of that excellent advice on exposure control in the other
replies, I would add that Velvia benefits from careful scanning too. The
slides can be quite dense. If you are scanning your own, you can increase
the 'exposure' during the scan. You need to look at the histograms from scan
preview. Over fifteen or so rolls shot of bright sunny scenics down to lower
light, I typically increased the gain 1/3 to 1/2 a stop during the scanning.
Naturally, as with the original exposure it's vital that you preserve some
detail in the highlights.
Examples scanned this way here (this is Velvia 100F)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/c_001/>
http://tinyurl.com/4zy4bm

By the way, you might like to try the Provia 100F next time. It is kinder on
skin tones especially but is every bit as sharp and still gives plenty of
saturation when you want it. Or Astia if you are shooting largely people
stuff. Perfect portrait palette, more restrained saturation than the others.
Very sadly all of those wonderful Fuji pro slide films now cost 5 or 6 times
as much in Aus as in the US of A!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e