Subject: [Leica] "Budget" full frame Nikon SLR
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Jun 20 15:00:21 2008

I just depends on if you consider a lens "obsolete" and out of the running
if its not AF auto focus. You'd think on the LUG that would not but such an
big deal as its not one which Leica has obsessed on in the M and R series. A
place our hearts and minds should really be.
Me I hardly recall if I'm shooting AF or not at the end of a shooting day.
Focusing burns very few calories in my mind.
AF is nice when using a newer cheaper body which was not really designed for
AI manual focusing with a proper groundglass and all.
Sill I miss few shots but little sleep.
The 35 1.4 is not AF yet?  Big deal. Buy a sigma if that's the nietzsche
focal length and speed you need to be in.
My 28 1.4 Nikkor is a bit hard to nail focus on on a N40x body the Sigma
would be nice, the 30 1.4 with the micro motor already silently in there but
that's 500 bucks I don't quite got. Not need to raise.
And falls within the department of redundancy department.
I can slap an old early AF 28 2.8 on in all its plastic uglessness and blaze
away never missing a shot. Sharp as heck. And could not sell the thing for
40 bucks on a good day. Or a latter gorgeous AF 24 2.8 compact as the 28 and
made of real metal so twice the weight.
I never notice the fact that its me doing the focusing.
Nor to I miss the fact that I'm not shooting with a zoom 2.8 Yuban coffee
can costing 4 figures they call a lens.
The options with Primes in the Nikon system goes back decades not years.
And is a plus for the system not a minus.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner