Subject: [Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Jun 17 00:06:30 2008

Well done Peter, a very useful and practical illustration of the points that
you made. With a close up, wide open and all tungsten lighting you have a
worst case, certainly though. My initial impression on the extra 'light'
gained by removing the filter is that it would be slightly defocused less
useful light. I don't understand any benefit for not using the UV/IR, except
of course where you are deliberately seeking to simulate an IR effect as
though it was an IR film emulsion. The other exception might be if you had a
problem with reflection of specular light sources made worse by the
additional glass?

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e