Subject: [Leica] German interview with Che Guevara photographer
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov)
Date: Mon Jun 2 10:42:23 2008

Interesting images.
I photographed an oceanographer some time back. While looking at his
photos on his wall, I noticed photos on the wall of him as a young
man, in military uniform in jungle settings. He told me they were
taken in Bolivia.
He was part of a team sent there to isolate Che. After isolating him
they had to create a situation where it would appear that the
Bolivian authorities had captured him.
He said, in an off handed manner, that it was a big game. Che men
would kill one theirs and they would make sure to kill twice as many
of Che's.
It was a very weird sitting. It made me think that intellectuals as a
group, Che including, tend to be noticeably inured to the suffering
of others.  It seems that the idealistic concerns over suffering on
the monumental rarely recognizes the personal.
s.d.