Subject: [Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat May 10 16:17:01 2008

Having made this suggestion tongue in cheek, let me address the problems....

First, there were and probably are circular chips made. Not many, but some.

When you make a wafer of chips, you then CUT the wafer into many parts,
called chips ( ! ).   This is done with a saw.   First in horizontal rows
then in vertical rows.    Pretty easy.  Straight cuts.
Ever try to cut a round thing out??  Ain;t easy.
Second, if you ( could ) make round chips, you would waste the area between
the circles....  draw it and you will see what I mean.  Waste is not in the
IC designers' dictionary.
So mostly all chips are rectangular.

Now let's consider circuit elements on the chip.
Some truly are not rectangular.  But again there must be a reason else you
are wasting chip area.

It has been 40 years since I actually made an active device in a lab.  Too
long ago to remember all the reasons you do not want a circular circuit
element.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Why not a circular sensor?   Aren't the chips manufactured on circles?
Tom

Replies: Reply from tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008)
Message from tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008)