Subject: [Leica] Leica R10
From: andersonfe at msn.com (ferrel anderson)
Date: Thu May 8 12:37:18 2008

The coverage and performance of current R lenses can be ascertained by
visiting the Leica web page and accessing the MTF and vignetting graphs.
The wide angle lenses, other than the perspective control lenses, fall off
in performance and illumination markedly in the graphs, so I doubt that they
will perform well at the corners with a larger than 43.26 diameter image
circle sensor.  The long lenses, however, do cover larger image circles, and
should perform well.  Jim Lager in his book on Leica lenses, shows some long
lenses on hasselblad bodies that he says perform well.  Those that I can
remember off hand are the 135mm f4 Elmar, the 200mm f4 Telyt, and the 280mm
f4.8 Telyt.

I don't favor the square format, so I am wishing for a rectangular format
that is not so extreme as the 2/3 ratio.  How about the 4/5 ratio, or a
ratio equivalent to the current letter size that we use in our ink jet
printers?

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Chris Williams) ([Leica] Leica R10)