Subject: [Leica] OT: EOS 70-200L sharpness
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 5 11:32:58 2008

Qiao Li <qiao_li@mentor.com> wrote:

>> 560mm f/6.8 @f/6.8 (a 1970 design) on the R8/DMR:
>> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/witu19.jpg
>> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/witu19crop.jpg
>>
>> http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/artiodactyls/dash01.jpg
>> http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/artiodactyls/dash01crop.jpg
>>
>> 80-200mm Vario-Elmar @ 180mm & full aperture on Provia 400F:
>> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/eeow02.jpg
>> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/eeow02crop.jpg
>

> Could you elaborate a little on how these pictures showed that DMR @
> ISO400 is preferrable than Provia 400F?
>
> To my untrained (not due to modesty) eyes, the Provia 400F picture
> seems to have more noise. But the DMR photo seems to show quite some
> aliasing, like the reflection from the turkey's eye, the hair at its
> back, and the highlights on the red caruncle(?)?

Be sure that your web browser is showing the turkey photo at full
resolution.  IE and Safari both will re-size the picture to fit the window,
resulting in visible aliasing.  Safari will then show you a magnifying lens
with a "+" in the center; click on the picture and it will be full
resolution.  IE will (eventually) show you a re-sizing icon in the lower
right corner, click on this to see the picture at full resolution.

The grain/noise of 400F is one of the most significant problems I have with
it.  The detail is more limited by the grain of the film than by the DMR's
sensor so I can't enlarge & crop with 400F as much as I can with the DMR.
Film grain's random pattern acts like an anti-aliasing filter.  I should
also try Provia 400X.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com