Subject: [Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs M8
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Apr 20 20:12:03 2008

I will be very interested in your results, Steve.  I have followed that
whole "back focus solution" thread on L-camera-forum.  The way I see it,
it's not one issue.  It's a complex interaction of several issues, and that
makes the problem very confusing.  Some people have had great luck with the
"Allen wrench fix." Others have "fixed" one lens, only to have others go
out.   Others have played ring-around-the rosy with the focusing, going
through multiple tries and tweaks, and never quite getting everything right.

On a $5000 camera, we "shouldn't" have to deal with this ourselves.  We
"should" be able to send our lenses to Leica, and they should all work on
the M8 at all stops. The first time.  We should be able to get our body and
our lenses calibrated to an absolute standard, and everything should be
just right.  But this doesn't appear to be reality, at least not right now.

I think you are correct that all other things being equal, if you got the
most critical of your lenses right with the RF cam adjustment, the rest of
your lenses should fall into place.  So IF your Noctilux is in within specs
at f/1, and so are your other lenses, then tweaking the RF so it jibes with
the wide-open Noct should be within tolerances for the rest of your
lenses.  With the possible exception of 90mm lenses, which may be more
critical than the Noctilux.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs M8)