Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG ot: sorry, I meant the 14-24.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Apr 16 11:41:59 2008

>> Felix,
>>
>> Do you like the lens?
>>
>> Leo
>
> I really do. I am very found of wide lenses and this lens is the best
> wide zoom i've seen for decades and that starting from 14mm and f2.8. It
> is  far better than Nikkor 12-24mm for DX cameras. Is far, far, better
> than 14mm Canon f2.8 and better than Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 second
> harvest -the first one  was very, very, bad-.  It's not worse than
> legendary Hologon 16mm f8 and much better than Voigtl?nder 12mm f5.6.
> And I'speaking about some wide that actually I own and use. In my
> opinion this zoom is worth to buy the Nikon D3 for the lens not only for
> the camera.
>
> Just to back my words have a look to following pictures. *Every of them*
> have bee taken with Nikon D3 and Nikkor 14-24mm f.28.
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=810631
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=808979
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=809235
>
> Regards
>
> Felix

I think you'd call this an ultra wide zoom.

The 12-24 is a DX lens and is really an 18-35.
This having established itself in the film 90's as the most popular and
useful lens for photojournalists and lots of other type folks with cameras.

This 14-24 does not replace that lens! It really is a 14-24!

14mm is way wider than 18mm.
And 35mm had much more reach than 24mm.

And 14-24 f2.8 in a full frame fast lens and weights 1,000g.

465g is what the 12-24 DX weights its a stop slower and again designed for a
smaller format.

So calling it a better lens is like calling the 38 Biogon a "better lens"
than a 50 Summicron.
Its not even apples and oranges
Apples and pears.

It's petunias and permanganates.