Subject: [Leica] Leica 16464 K adapter
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Apr 10 14:37:44 2008

At 05:14 PM 4/10/2008, Luis Ripoll wrote:
 >I have recently purchased a Visoflex III and it comes with the Adapter
 >16464K. Some days later I've found a nice Elmar 3,5/65mm I've purchased too
 >and it comes with the adapter OUTFO.
 >
 >AFAIK both are exactly the same..... ??
 >
 >To be sure can somebody confirm me this point?

Luis

I suspect that you have an OTZFO, not an
OUTFO.  The OTZFO is identical to the
16464.  (The K is meaningless:  all 16464 adapters are functionally
identical.)

Leitz used a code-word system for catalogue
orders from before World War I until 1962 -- in
fact, the very term "LEICA" was the code-word for
the first camera they marketed.

In 1936, they attempted to upgrade this to a
numeric system but this died during World War II,
though the 1938 Master Catalogue lists a table of
code-word to catalogue numbers and I have a few
Postwar boxes showing such numbers in the Prewar numeric system.

They finally adopted a completely different
numeric system aroun 1962, the one which remains
in use today.  Thus, a lot of items -- including
cameras and lenses as well as accessorieis --
have both code-words and catalogue numbers, and
some of the longer-lied items have not only a
code-word but also two different catalogue
numbers, one from the Prewar system and the other from the current system.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Leica 16464 K adapter)