Subject: [Leica] Potential Pentax Purchase
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Apr 9 21:08:38 2008

Mark, I always enjoy your distinctive posts ;-)
There's a great deal more to it than physical sensor size though, and the
scalability of digital captures, signal/noise ratios, the camera's firmware,
the processing software etc etc.
How about what you want to shoot with it? If you like longer lenses then
your hobby farm size crop circle will be a positive advantage. All of the
makers have come up with a range of super-wides anyway. I suspect that fewer
people actually use their older lenses that nominally fit than the new
dedicated zooms with their new DSLRs. Maybe with the D200 and up your older
fine quality manual prime Nikkors are practical. Wanna buy some ;-)

I think that Olympus is pioneering or pursuing a number of useful
strategies.
I like the idea of compact bodies and the E400's and 500's are certainly
that (as are smaller models from Pentax, Nikon and Canon)
The newest implementations of Live view look very good too, and I think that
Olympus is leading the trend there.
What about image stabilization?
Also to be objective, you would have to acknowledge that 24x36 sensors are a
long way from being available for consumer prices at this stage.
Jim is considering relatively inexpensive models (ie not pro cameras).
The Pentaxes look great, so do the other makers.
To me that means pick a model from any of those makers that feels best in
your own hands and with controls that you can live with. They will all make
great images, I'm sure.

Cheers
Geoff, owner of a 1.33 crop circle, now THERE'S a camera where legacy lenses
are the driver.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/