Subject: [Leica] Re: OT - monitor recommendations
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Apr 8 10:59:01 2008

I am not going to make a recommendation to a specific monitor, but would
like to comment on what TYPE of LCD you get.....

I decided to replace my monitor a few months ago.  I looked everywhere....
my computer is maybe 2 years old, and its video card will not support a wide
screen monitor... even though the idiot salesman at the local Circuit City
said it would work....  ( I was the Marketing Manager for Video Chips for
Western Digital ( Paradise was the consumer brand) so I know a bit about
specs(manship).  I am also a EE.

If you are considering ANY monitor, get the specs ( on line for most
companies) and check the specs against your video card specs..... you want
the Monitor's maximum resolution to be less than or equal to what your video
card can produce.  If you do the wrong thing, you will end up also buying a
video card, which while not expensive necessarily, is an additional and
somewhat hidden cost.  And for free, you get to play with video drivers not
written by MS or your computer maker.... .

BTW, I bought what may be a the last good NON-widescreen 20" monitor out
there..... a Samsung 204B.  about $300, 1600x1200, good contrast and good
brilliance ( for a sun filled room).

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net