Subject: [Leica] Re: KE-7
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon Apr 7 14:22:37 2008

Quoth the Vick Ko :

> Please all, keep telling me to "go out and shoot photos",
> "historically the
> KE-7A is worth the same as a share of <name your defunct company -
> Bre-X,
> NORTEL, ...>"

The question is this:  are you a shooter, or are you just a Leica
collector?

All it takes to buy a KE-7A, or an Ein Stuck, or any of the other
dozens of collectibles the Solms gnomes make whenever they get a
whim, is that you have the right amount of spare cash.  Someone will
sell one to you quite without caring whether you have a clue what it
is or why it's special.  You have money, and that's all that matters.

But at the end of the day you don't dare use it because it might get
scratched or banged up the way cameras do when they belong to real
shooters - y'know, people who actually understand and appreciate why
Mr. E. Leitz and Mr. O. Barnack built the things, folks who've EARNED
Leicas, rather than just BOUGHT them.

For the cost of that kit you can buy yourself lots of film and lab
work, or time on the streets of wherever with camera in hand, doing
what Leicas are meant to do...  or you can buy yourself an expensive
paperweight that'll have to be dusted and secured and insured and all
that crap...

Leave that one to somebody with lotsa money and no eye, get yourself
a brick of B&W of your preferred flavor and those beater M's you've
had since you could scrounge them, and get your arse out on the
street where it belongs.  You're wasting daylight.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Re: KE-7)