Subject: [Leica] Re: Have Leicaflex SL2 prices fallen through the floor?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Apr 6 10:55:51 2008

One of the biggest camera chains in northern Germany (Photo Dose) has
now pulled out of the second hand market entirely - it just isn't
profitable any more and takes up too much space in the shop windows.

In other s/h shops the only Leica Rs maintaining higher prices on the
s/h market here in Germany are the R6 and R6.2, and strangely enough,
the R-E. R8s are often found for (for Leica) giveaway prices, not many
R9s have yet found their ways on to the s/h shelves.
Even SLMot and SL2Mot bodies now only cost about one half of what they
used to - although Leicaflex Motors for them are rare and still command
very high prices.
Lenses are holding their own and don't seem to be getting any cheaper at
all. Same applies to Zeiss lenses for Rollei and Contax/Yashica

Most of the LTMs are much lower in price, with the exception of IIIg
bodies in good condition and rarer models. Screw mount lenses are so
cheap you have to look twice to make sure they're from Leica.

Leica Ms in very good condition are lower in price but still relatively
expensive. M-lenses are still high

Other brand pro/semipro level SLRs than Leica, Nikon and Canon ,and the
Olympus Ti, bodies can be had for next to nothing. I'm already thinking
of a Contax RTS III, and I recently saw a Contarex Hologon in excellent
condition with all the bits and pieces except the centre spot grad
filter for only a little over 1000 Euros.
Consumer level SLRs of even the best known brands, both manual and AF
are dirt cheap.

Medium format stuff from Mamiya and bronica are very reasonably priced,
Rollei SLX, 6000,  and earlier 6006 bodies are cheap, 6008 and its
versions are still high. Rollei TLRs are reasonably priced - the newer
models being quite expensive in good condition

It's a collectors market at the moment
Cheers
Douglas

BTW, picked up a very nice Kodak Retina IIIc (second version) with the
standard 2.0/50 Xenon with Bakelite lenshood, telephoto and wideangle
lenses case and accessory finder  - and the meter workstoo - more or
less mint for 30 Euros yesterday. Fiddly to use but very nice cameras.