Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another week and more weddings
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Mar 30 19:53:23 2008

Christopher Williams showed:

>>March has flown by! What was I doing the whole time? Oh, yeah weddings!

> Another installment in the life of a wedding photographer brought to by
N'awlins' zoeicaimages.com/Susan&Jason<<

Hi Chris,

I always hated shooting weddings until I learned my trick of appreciating
them!

I figured and this was many many years ago, that if I charged a bunch of
money people wouldn't bother me because I was charging to much.

And given I came from an era when it cost $25.00 to shoot the wedding
ceremony at the church, supply 12 B&W prints in a white wedding album and
that was it. Period. Most of the time you'd shoot 2 weddings a day and think
you were making a fortune. Well OK eh? B&W was $1.25 a roll. :-)

I figured if I told them my rate was $1000.00 to shoot and I'd give the best
man the film and an address where to have the film processed and printed.
He'd hand me a $1000.00 cash and I was out of their face and they'd be out
of mine! Seemed simple enough. :-)

Unfortunately it appeared I did such a pleasant set of happy snaps their
friends would ask me to do their wedding. It became a pain in the ass, so I
doubled the price to $2000.00 cash at end of day, they got the rolls of film
and outta my face. :-) Same routine and damned if people weren't bright
enough at $2000. to say thanks but no thanks! They still wanted me to do the
damn wedding. :-)

So finally I said. "Thanks, but no thanks and I gave them the name of a real
wedding shooter."

Hell I think I'd rather cover a war than shoot weddings. :-) Dealing with
mother-in-laws is horrendous!  :-)

But good on you lad, as this series is a very nice coverage throughout. I
particularly like the available light efforts.

If I get asked to do a wedding, is it OK if I give them your e-mail address?
;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] IMG: Another week and more weddings)