Subject: [Leica] Lens kit for europe
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Mar 28 14:05:18 2008

Hi Clive those are impressively crisp and punchy. Looks like an inexpensive
way to get some dramatic wide effects with the M8. Thanks for posting some
examples. If the coding is functioning, presumably the best case is that the
camera is applying vignetting compensation as though you are using the 28
end of the Tri Elmar. Clearly recording of the focal length has no function
in this case. I'd be interested to see three things out of this:
1       Your lens shot wide open with lens detection turned off
2       Actual examples from a TE on an M8
3       What that lens reports regarding focal length. I suspect that it
does    not. In fact if your coding is working it must not.
I know that there are special arrangements for the WATE to be used with lens
detection on. That suggests that the earlier TE will just be compensated as
though at its widest setting? Anyone out there with a TE like to comment?
Pictures would be great. Since Clive has used lens detection but no UV/IR
then the image is not being compensated for cyan corner effects, but
presumably exposure falloff towards the corners. Maybe there's little
practical effect with this lens and/or modest maximum aperture anyway.
Perhaps it is not significant at all in this case.
I have an M-coder arriving within a couple of days. I shall experiment with
the ZM 4.5 21 and post some results.
Anyway, most importantly the CV15 lens looks to be doing a great job in
Clive's hands.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e