Subject: [Leica] CV 15mm lens on M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Mar 27 14:14:24 2008

Steve, your 24mm lens virtually fills the M8 viewfinder. That is the widest
frameline built-in. I don't know how you can see anything outside that
frameline. Due to the (smaller than 24x36) sensor crop, that frameline shows
you an approximation of the crop effect (about the same view angle as a 32mm
on a film M)
To use a 15mm lens you should use an external finder which is designed for a
21mm lens on a film M.
All of the framelines show less than the actual sensor capture anyway. (they
are calibrated for the view at .7m)
The key is to think of the framelines as approximating the view angle, not
the nominal focal length. Each lens produces the same image at the plane of
focus on any M. The M8 sensor, being smaller than 24x36, actually captures
about 75% of it.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e