Subject: [Leica] could it be a defective lens?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 27 09:35:52 2008

> What the hell is wale blubber?
> ===============================
> And yes I know your more likely to get clean LTM Nikon glass than Leica
> glass. Because of the wale blubber.

Whale Blubber.
A LUG myth I think it was disproved. Not sure.
Maybe the fact that it was disproved was disproved.
But we used to think or maybe we still do that Leica used some lubricant
from whales (the big ones in the ocean) on all their early glass and it just
didn't work out. For what ever reason Canon or Nikon glass is always a ton
cleaner than Leitz glass from the 30s and 40s I think is a going fact.

That's the problem with experimental lubricants.
Sometimes they just don't work out.
Like with the Zeiss Contarex plagued with wield lubricants which turn into
glue or crystallize.

I think some one got on and said the blubber thing was not true.
Like Ernst Leitz's dog being named Hector.
People just make stuff up.
I'm all for it!

I think on the Leica website they call it "Leica culture".

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] could it be a defective lens?)