Subject: [Leica] Bali Pictures - Rice terrace and temple panos
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Mar 23 21:35:57 2008

I think there is a great deal of good to say about the shot of the rice
farmer..... and a big lesson to discuss.....

What Howard has been able to do is to isolate his subject from the
background using color and DOF.  Something I wish I did more often.  The
hat, the shirt, the smiling face... all preserved by the background of
brilliant green..... a really wonderful travel shot.....

In contrast, a shot I think is not as successful, is the same farmer with
his thumb up.  Here the baskets get lost in the background.  You have to
think about the baskets to understand their place in the shot.  I realize
this is or could be all serendipity and little planning, or a well
orchestrated shot... but what if.......what if we checked for tonal ( B+W)
or color overlap to our backgrounds......  and intentionally tried to get
the background to help isolate our main subject....  or at least to be
conscious of it.....????

In many of the pictures that we see here and other places, the idea to
isolate is probably the key to an image that rings true to us.  I saw it in
Tina's work as well.. the India shot of the 2 women, whose dresses are so
bright, against the dullness of the gray wall.....

Brian.. subject material for a contest.... while maybe a little too
scholarly...... a good learning experience....:    Isolating the main
subject.......

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Bali Pictures - Rice terrace and temple panos)