Subject: [Leica] IMG: Mystery Solved
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Sun Mar 23 09:03:29 2008

Easter Sunday morning is a good time for solving mysteries, and
today's Sunday Shot is the answer to a puzzle. When I first sent out
a picture of these ruins several weeks ago I had no idea about their
name or history. One of our fellow LUGGERs, John Braun, who lives in
Columbia, MD, suggested that I contact the Talbot County Historical
Society where the church is located. My friend Ray Hardy, one of the
world's distinguished cello makers saw the picture. ( His son David
is the Principal Cellist of the National Symphony Orchestra, by the
way.) Ray is also an excellent photographer. He showed the picture to
two friends of his, David Crandel, who is a professional
photographer, and The Rev. Lyle Buck, a Presbyterian minister. The
three of them formed a team to track down the story of this ruin. Ray
got in touch with Ms. Beth Hanson, the Curator of the Talbot County
Historical Society. She knew the answer.

These are the ruins of St. John's Episcopal Church. They are located
on the Miles River, in Unionville, MD, not far from the town of St.
Michael's. The chrch was built in the 1830's, and was in regular use
through the late 1890's when the congregation declined. It was closed
in the early 1900's when several people were injured as some pieces
of the ceiling fell on them during services. The church has been
deconsecrated for the past century.

I am sending this picture today because it is also become my own
personal Easter story. In 1990 I was in a serious bicycle accident. I
broke my hip and pelvis. Complications developed. My hip became very
arthritic and I became so lame that I had a lot of trouble walking
even short distances, though I tried not to let in get in the way of
my photography. (Edward Weston is reputed to have said, "If it's more
than 100 feet from the car it's not scenic!" Believe me, I know
exactly what he meant.) Last July I had my hip replaced. What makes
this picture an Easter story is that I took it with my Leica M8 with
my 24mm f 2.8 Elmar lying on my stomach in the muddy grass. I took
seven or eight different shots from this perspective. I had no
trouble crawling around or getting up an down. Weather or not this
was a prudent thing for someone who will be 65 in a few weeks to be
doing is different question! :-) This is my Easter Sunday picture
because there is no way in the world I could have taken this picture
six months ago. My new hip is a gift of Biblical proportions.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Barney/St_Johns.jpg.html

Comments and Criticisms Welcome!

Barney

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Mystery Solved)