Subject: [Leica] Rail fans gather 'round...
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Tue Mar 18 18:10:02 2008

Adam, Brian - I wonder if the Tech RR Club is still in existence.
When I worked at M.I.T., it was a big deal.  They really pushed the
state of the art in automated control.

Well, I just answered my own question.  Look here:

http://tmrc.mit.edu/

As busy as ever, it looks like.

Tom's layout is only semi-automated.  All the current engines seem to
have a controller that give them different behaviors depending on
different voltages and voltage sequences out of the transformers.

I had quite a set of Lionels when I was a kid but I sold them all when
I was 13 or so. At that point in my life I just HAD to have Heathkit
OM-1 oscilloscope kit and that was the only way to get it.  In
retrospect it just seems wrong to have sold them but I don't really
regret it.  My railroading days were over.  The trains would be worth
a whole lot more now than that 'scope even if had survived.  My memory
of its departure from my life is pretty dim but I think it involved
smoke and that distinctive smell of 2W carbon resistors burning.

I noticed the scale errors in the trains, too, but they were only a
minor annoyance.  I had bigger problems with scale errors in my model
airplanes and boats.  That drove me crazy for some reason and I would
sometimes rework models over and over to get it right.

Watching Tom work on his is a nice exercise in nostalgia, though.

My brother was into LGB's for quite a while and tried to entice me
back into the hobby by giving me train sets and rolling stock for
Christmas.  Except for an occasional run around the Christmas tree,
they sit in boxes in the basement waiting for someone to love them.

Regards,

Dick