Subject: [Leica] CAUGHT IN... Williamsburg
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Mar 11 23:26:19 2008

I heartily second Ira's recommendation of Caro's "The Power Broker".
I read it for a political science course in the early 80s and found
it to be one of the most fascinating books I have ever read during my
many years at university.

And even I have a Williamsburg connection--my wife, like every Puerto
Rican on the planet, has relatives in New York, including an aunt in
Williamsburg. When we lived in New Jersey from 1990 to 95, we would
often drive into the city on a Sunday and visit her aunt. The women
would cook Puerto Rican food, while the men would sit and watch
football and drink beer--a division of labor I thoroughly enjoyed :-)

Nathan

On 7-mrt-2008, at 4:56, ISILVERMN@aol.com wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:17:53 -0500, Richard Taylor
> _r.s.taylor@comcast.net_
> (mailto:r.s.taylor@comcast.net)  wrote:
>
> "And... I still think Walter O'Malley is the lying-ist, cheating-ist,
> dirty-ist, SOB that ever lived."
>
> Dick,
>
> I'm a child of 1950's Crown Heights myself - grew up about three
> blocks  from
> Ebbett's Field on President Street between Bedford and Franklin
> Avenues.  I
> live outside of LA now, and still believe real  Dodgers played in
> Brooklyn.
>
> I used to agree with Pete Hamill that the three most evil
> individuals of  the
> 20th century were "Hitler, Stalin and Walter O'Malley."
>
> There was an interesting article in the LA Times a few months ago
> that had
> the story behind the story, perhaps with a bit of an LA spin.  It
> turns out
> that the real villain was - surprise! - Robert Moses, who demanded
> total control
>  of any Dodger relocation within New York.  Knowing what I do about
> Robert
> Moses, it has a very real ring to it.
>
> If you haven't read it yet, have a look at The Power Broker by
> Robert Caro.
> A fabulous read and a real eye-opener.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Ira Silverman
> Brooklyn born and bread, and still looking for a good bagel in
> Irvine,  CA
>

> **************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL
> Money &
> Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)