Subject: [Leica] OT best light monopod ?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 8 09:01:35 2008

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:

>for the photographer who always prefers no tripod, favoring hand
>held......but to steady an M8/lens or a medium weight slr with
>telephoto for occasional shots where better resolution is desired, and
>hand held is not not needed...

If you expect to be adjusting the height of the 'pod much, think about how
you hold the camera while doing so.  Will the camera be on the 'pod?  If so,
are you willing to lock the head each time you adjust the 'pod length?  Is
the SLR going to be heavy enough that you'll want to keep a hand on it for
balance while you extend or shorten the 'pod?

My own use of the 'pod generally involves heavier equipment that I'd rather
keep my hands on for balance, leaving one hand for loosening and tightening
the leg extension clamps.  I generally have to use two hands on the 'pod to
loosen or tighten leg clamps if it's a "twist-ring" clamp, else the camera
invariably comes loose as I torque the clamp.  On my monopod I prefer a
lever-lock or knurled-knob clamp.

Topping the monopod I have a Bogen / manfrotto 3232 tilt head, about $20 at
B&H.  The monopod has more degrees of freedom than a tripod so the head
doesn't need as much articulation.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com