Subject: [Leica] RE: Zeiss-Ikon RF versus M6TTL from an owner of both
From: bigdlakeside at yahoo.com (Rod Smith)
Date: Fri Feb 29 15:01:21 2008

Ernie:
  I own both the Zeiss-Ikon RF and a  M6 TTL.
  There is a world of difference between the two.
  The first time I ever mounted a lens on the M6 - I knew it was the finest
camera I had ever put my hands on. I proceeded to flesh out the outfit with
3 lenses (current generation 35, 50 and 90 Summicrons).
  When the Zeiss came out - I thought I would give it a whirl.
  I bought the camera, and before it was over with, the new Zeiss 21mm and
Zeiss 28mm.
  While all the Zeiss stuff is good (in fact no complaints about the images
made with the lenses) the Zeiss body does not "feel" as good as the Leica.
All of the operations (short of film rewind) simply are not as smooth. It
just does not "feel" the be the quality.
  Everything seems to work fine though. Shutter speed seems to be accurate,
TTL exposure good, and the film seems to be held flat. So I can not really
complain.
  The bottom line to me is the feel vs the price. If the feel is not
important the Zeiss would be fine.
  Another comment needs to be made on the Zeiss lenses. All of the tooling
(that is, the knurling for aperture ring and focus ring has sharper edges
than the Leitz. Also the lenses have simply gotten dinged up in my camera
cases (whereas the Leitz show no damage). I guess the metal is softer or
something.
  The Zeiss body however shows now wear (I have a black one).
  I guess I would say if you want the best, get the Leica. If you want to
save some money and deal with a slightly inferior product the Zeiss will do.
  In the end - it is not the camera that makes great photographs, it is the
photographer. Very few photographs would be greatly superior when shot with
the Leitz set up vs. the Zeiss. But if you like the "feel" and the look of
Leitz made photos - there simply is no alternative.
  Good luck, and enjoy shooting.
  Rod Smith
  Atlanta, GA
  www.rodsmithphotography.com