Subject: [Leica] what?
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Fri Feb 22 15:01:28 2008

Quote my former mail to Geoff:

"It is a sad story indeed.

There we had a guy that, in nearly 2 years, was finally getting a
fixed course on a ship that was going no side for about 20 years.
He (re)found the core of Leica: superbly crafted + upgradable = a
camera for life. Vintage from the start.
That's a lot of added value in a niche that can only grow in these
days of disposable goods. It even makes sense in an ecological way.
So I found it a very smart marketing strategy to do this.
Translated communication wise: 'Expiration date [infinity sign]'.
Maybe a tad bit too intellectualistic, thus limiting the target
group, but anyway.
In a next phase, after the brand would have been reinstated, this
could be capitalized towards the development of the R, and towards
the P&S market.
True, this hurt the dealers (who have become high quantities + low
margins junkies), but maybe the 'live dealer' concept is becoming
obsolete. (sadly IMO, but that is a philosophical matter).
Pure business/investor-wise, this was a good mid to long term strategy.

And now they choose unilaterally for the P&S strategy, working for
Panasonic. A market niche where there is nearly no margin any more.
Really sad.

On the other hand, I read that he wasn't 'good with people'.

One can't turn a ship without the help of one's people...

So, finally, It's all about good communications, isn't it?

Looks like Lee only partly succeeded in that. But whether that weighs
in heavier than going retro again, is an entire other matter."

Just brainstorming here :-)

PhO.

Op 22-feb-08, om 23:29 heeft Steve Unsworth het volgende geschreven: