Subject: [Leica] what?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Feb 22 14:21:48 2008

PhO, analysis, also known as speculation will no doubt be rampant.
For implications read here a statement attributed to A Leica UK
representative. The link was posted on the Leica forum.
<http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_Camera_sacks_CEO_Steven_K_Lee_news_182225.html>
http://tinyurl.com/2uw27u

Personally I am extremely surprised. My perception of Mr Lee's approach was
that he was overseeing some forward looking improvements
to Leica's strategy while also having inherited some issues. I read the
announced M8 upgrade options as an alternative for customers
since any (speculated) M9 would not be ready for Photokina. It may be that
dealers were displeased with such a concept. As a
customer I thought it worthwhile to have the program available as an option.
I think that the abrupt and terse dismissal of Mr Lee
is very much a negative for Leica in the way that it was done. Does not
instil confidence in their strategy nor company image. Oh
and by the way I just bought an M8.
One side issue is that Mr Lee, a genuine long time Leica enthusiast, was a
vocal advocate for the R cameras too. Hmmm. Can't wait
for Photokina.

Cheers
Geoff