Subject: [Leica] [IMG] PAW 48 - Pearly King and Queens A great London tradition
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu Feb 21 07:38:16 2008

This isn't a very good shot, snatched as it was on Waterloo station a few
weeks
back. It is more for interest.

When I was younger there were quite a few Pearlies around, but I haven't
seen
three in one place for a long time. He wears a "smother suit" and they wear
coats decorated with traditional Pearly designs.

Pearlies were essentially community figures in London, one King and Queen
for
each borough, who worked for the community, originally maintaining the
rights of
the costermongers (street traders), later principally as fund-raisers for
local
charities, but they also had a certain standing and were held in high regard
by
the rest of the Community.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PAW+2007/32230032PearliesWaterloo.jpg.html
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PAW+2007/32230032PearliesWaterloo.jpg.html>

I think that the Queen on the left saisd that they were from Upminster, but
if
anyone recognises them and can let me know for sure I'd be glad to hear.

For more details see

http://www.pearlysociety.co.uk/history.htm

http://www.pearlykingandqueenentertainers.co.uk/ - look undfer "Pearly
Tradition"

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearly_Kings_and_Queens

Your comments and constructive criticisms are as always welcome,

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Peter Dzwig