Subject: [Leica] festival street photos
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Feb 18 19:44:58 2008

Elizabeth Reid showed:

> Boston's Chinese New Year Festival was this afternoon, and I went out and
did some shooting. I'd love to get feedback on these images, because I
haven't done a lot of street shooting before. I'm still pretty uncomfortable
taking pictures of people I don't know out in public, but

I'm working on making myself less so...<<<<<<<<

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ereid/chifest08/
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ereid/chifest08/%3c%3c%3c> <<<

Hi Elizabeth,

You're looking good! The more you shoot the better you get and the less
tense you'll feel about shooting strangers.

In a festival type atmosphere like this concentrate on those completely
engrossed in the activities and they'll never know you are taking their
picture.

In that fashion you'll feel better knowing the subject is so wrapped up in
what is happening you are invisible to them.

Obviously if anyone "catches you" shooting them just smile and wave a kind
of "thank you" gesture.

But don't ever ever duck away as though you've just been caught doing
something wrong!

Because that immediately creates a question in the mind of the subject. "WHY
WAS THAT PERSON TAKING MY PICTURE?" And the next thing you know you're
either pleading for your life or fumbling about trying to explain why you
were taking the picture.

Trust me under a stress moment like that you can't speak your mother tongue,
let alone say anything intelligent!

Always stay cool. Look light hearted about it and you are having fun and
always wear a smile.

However always wear shoes you can run fast in! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] festival street photos)