Subject: [Leica] Online Printing Shops and Various Digital SLR Questions
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 8 07:48:14 2008

Frank F. Farmer <summicron@comcast.net> wrote:

> 1) I've ordered a couple of prints from a place called QOOP...
>  Each time I get the photos, I feel like they are printed a bit
>  dark... is there a way to predetermine how an online shop will
>  print the photos?

This is the convoluted and often confusing topic of color management.  If
both you and the printing service are accurately color-calibrated there
should be no surprises.

> 2)  Also, I have a question or two about Canon auto focus.  I'm new to
> Canon, used to use a Nikon before all my Leicas came along.  The same
> shots mentioned above have been soft.  It would seem the auto focus
> would be pretty spot on for these shots as nothing has been moving,
> etc...  Shutter speeds aren't below 1/30th (which I used to handhold
> pretty well with my FM2n).  Is it possible camera shake is blurring all
> of my photos?

Yes.

> What other causes might I consider?  I'm working on shooting a
> couple with manual focus to compare.  Just wondering if there
> is some secret Canon code I should know.

Is this a film camera?  If so the scanning process is another step where
unintended softness can be introduced.  I'm trying to supress my opinion of
AF systems as they currently exist, but focus and camera shake are the most
likely culprits of the soft photos.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?