Subject: [Leica] For Sale..Be ready for the big EMP
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Feb 1 14:26:47 2008

At 11:26 AM -0800 2/1/08, slobodan dimitrov wrote:
>I tried 3 lenses on an M4. All produced the hot spot.
>But that was over 30 years ago. Now, I'll stick with a metal shutter.
>On the other hand, resolution is so low with IR, that any lens will do.
>s.d.

The Rollei and Ilford films you mentioned actually have quite high
resolution, but then they are hardly IR sensitive, so the lens
correction doesn't matter very much.

With HIE, the lens correction did matter quite a bit, and poorly
corrected lenses were easily exposed in spite of the low absolute
resolution. Besides the expected longitudinal colour error, lateral
colour errors caused mush with many lenses, and coma was often
terrible.

The cloth shutter in Leicas is quite IR opaque, which is easily
tested by laying an IR loaded camera out in the sun with the lens
removed. You'll get no more light leaks than you would with Tri-X.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov) ([Leica] For Sale..Be ready for the big EMP)