Subject: [Leica] M8 upgrade confirmed via e-mail from Leica
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 31 22:11:56 2008

At 10:44 PM +0000 1/31/08, Christopher Birchenhall wrote:
>Henning
>
>You may of course be right. Nevertheless, I see all of this leaked
>news as a process of creating FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt). For
>me Photokina is their last chance to persuade me to go Leica for
>digital. M8a or R10 raise serious doubts in my mind. If the M8a is
>another upgrade to the M8 I am not sure I will go that route; I will
>stay with film for RF. If the R10 has limited backward compatibility
>and it costs the earth then either I stay with film or "Nikon here I
>come".
>
>Chris B

To each his own. My M8 doesn't replace the DSLRs I do have, but
supplements them. The R10 doesn't interest me at this time, and I
never had any R system film stuff either.

The M8 does what I would like it to do. It is far from perfect, but
then so were and are all other things. The M8 on balance is very
useable for me, and that is all I ask. Maybe when another upgrade
comes, or when an M9 or 10 come there will be reason, or I will
persuade myself, that it matters. Until then I'll shoot with the M8.

As for Leica's strategy, I feel it's a reasonable one. They have to
go down a different path than Sony or Nikon or Olympus to make their
products attractive to those that they see or want as their
clientele. Whether it works in the long run can't be determined at
this time. If Leica's strategy bothers you, all I can say is: stay
away. Nikon (and Canon) make good cameras that have other tradeoffs.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from jarmo.o.korhonen at elisanet.fi (Jarmo Korhonen) ([Leica] Leica Announcement (?) - No M9 this year; M8 Upgrade)