Subject: [Leica] Re:one of the most important news for me
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jan 31 19:14:53 2008

> Justin Viiret <jviiret@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013101sigma250500.asp>
>
> DPReview says this is the ultimate wildlife lens?  Only if the photographer
> never ventures more than 100 ft beyond his SUV.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

This range of a lens 200-500mm and at f2.8 takes exactly the full advantage
of the 1.5 crop format. Which for all practical purposes is what we used to
call "half frame".
To design a lens close to these specs for the 24x36mm format would require
helium balloons.
And parachutes.
And gyros. Some Styrofoam. Lots of kite string. Foam. Tylenol.
Which reminds me I'd think vibration stabilization would be an built in part
of such a lens design as this.

vibration stabilization is becoming a very big deal.
Its the next big thing for me.
Unless I switch back to Leica as my front row clicker.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re:one of the most important news for me)