Subject: [Leica] On Both Sides (Take Lightly)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jan 30 22:05:12 2008

> Quoting  Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
>
>> ... I suppose if someone is dinking around over a weekend with
>> money to burn for film and processing, stick to film.
>  At least for B&W [personal pictures], the greater cost of using film
> seems a
> specious argument, unless a fairy godmother gives one all the digital
> equipment
> needed to shoot, process, print, and handle the archiving of the original
> files.
> I think the initial investment of digital is always glossed over, and
> touted
> as
> being so much cheaper than film.
>
> I'm "dinking around", doing my own processing and printing, partly because
> don't have the "money to burn" to start from scratch with an all-digital
> workflow, not to mention the cost of continual upgrades, supplies, and
> storage
> headaches (I also just plain prefer the feel of my current cameras, like
> darkroom work, and get satisfaction from a physical image).
>
> I'm not against digital photography, since it has increased my client
> satisfaction at work, and is now essential professionally, but I get tired
> of
> hearing that it is less expensive in every case.
>
> Please don't take this as a rant.
>
> Ok, maybe a mini-rant   ;~)
>
> Alan
>
> Alan Magayne-Roshak, Senior Photographer
> University Information Technology Services
> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
> Office Phone: 414 229-6525 | E-mail: amr3@uwm.edu
> Department Phone: 414 229-4282
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/

I don't get it Alan are you typing this email on a typewriter then scanning
it with optical character recognition software? I  imagine you've got a
computer to type it in! That's the main investment in digital photography.
A digital body for your SLR lenses? Or a cheap point and shot digital camera
for a few hundred bucks?
A couple hundred bucks for a cheap Epson.
The big investment is Photoshop software.

Most kids are doing digital photography nowadays. They have to scrape up the
stuff from their parents.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] On Both Sides (Take Lightly))