Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Leica M8 Customer Information -- January 30th, 2008
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Jan 30 17:29:16 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Frank Filippone wrote:

> This is interesting..... very interesting.  I am not sure what it
> says, except buy more M8 and M9 cameras, cause just like the Leica
> A, we are promising we will upgrade them into the future.... and
> therefore our extra high cost is a bargain, over time.  Our upgrades
> have no competition, no one else does this.
>
> I think there IS merit in this......   If you look at what the
> warranty on a Leica was ( M6 time) it was 3 years with a 2 year
> option for an additional $150 or so.....  The current M8 is 2 years
> ( I stand corrected from a  previous email).  After 2 years, a lot
> of users ( yes, some on this list......) swap out there current
> Leica models for new ones.. and preserve their warranty in so
> doing.  Sure they lose something, maybe 40% of the original cost,
> but they preserve that all important warranty.  What this M8 program
> does is to repair to spec, and upgrade the camera AND extend the
> warranty for 2 years, for 40% of the value of a new camera.  Sounds
> like the same thing......  So why not keep your old model and just
> update the guts?

that's a good analysis Frank, and many M8 owners like me, will face a
dilemma pretty soon...

it is not an easy, slam dunk call...

aside from the obvious pros and cons, and the high fee...

we are paying leica to be without our cameras, for an unknown period
of time, cameras that some of us frequently use...

Steve