Subject: [Leica] small range finder for cycling
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Mon Jan 28 04:15:28 2008

Adam

Viewfinders:
The optical finders of digital p&s, if they happen to have one, are mostly
very squinty; and the electronic viewfinders have a longer or a shorter
timelag. The Canon G9's finder is not what Leica users really expect, but
probably the best or one of the best of all compact digi finders. Another
solution, if you can stay with a fixed focal length, might be the Ricoh GR-D
(I or II) with an external viefinder, a CV 28mm or 28mm/35mm, for instance.
As you will use it at daylight and at low ISO mostly, the G9's as well as
the Ricoh's high ISO issues are not a problem.

Sweat & rain:
I use a small plastic bag for the Canon S3 when I carry it in the back
pocket. But mostly I take a backpacker with so the R-D1 is preferred. If you
look for a really rugged, rain- and dustproof digital camera, the Ricoh
Caplio 500G or 500SE (8 megapixels, 28-84mm eq., f2.5-4.3) might be an
alternative. There are also cheapo water "housings" (in fact, bags with a
filter mount) for most consumer cameras available (from hama, dicapak) - not
shure if they really work underwater, but for rain & sweat they should be ok.

Shooting from the handlebar:
Another way to make easy bike shootings is with a camera attached to the
handlebar. I use a Linhof tripod clamp, and can screw on any camera with
standard tripod mount. Worked well, for instance, with a Rollei 35XF at
infinity/hyperfocal distance and a 400ISO film (exposure done by the
camera). The use of a protection filter is strongly recommended, unless
someone likes to scratch dead insects from his lens' front element :)

Didier