Subject: [Leica] R10? That's so pedestrian... Info on 28/2.8 still wanted...
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu Jan 24 12:46:33 2008

Someone speculates that my wish for info on the image circle size for
the 28/2.8 is may be for the fabled R10.... Nah, so if you have the
info, I'd much appreciate it if you can let me know!

As for why. Herein lies a tale, or tail... All photos Neopan 1600
souped in Harvey 777. Who says Film is Dead?

First, an image made with the Summicron 50 R:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/Scan-080124-0012.jpg

Big deal, motion blur blah blah blah, but what if I say the Summicron
is scale focused?

Surely that's stupid, and it is. It's a test really. Here's at F2,
picture no great shake, but at least one eye is sharp as tack:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/Scan-080124-0004.jpg

But seriously, who would want to scale focus a R lens? No one for sure,
but...

I can get really close:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/Scan-080124-0022.jpg

The 'cron gives nice tonesI think it's the 777 at work. The 'cron is
cheap too, compared to the M lens. I bought it from KEH for $249 and
it looks pretty "mint" to me. Much bigger than the M lens though.

Anyway, if you read this far and have not gone away with un-interest,
perhaps the format gives a little hint on what I am trying to do.
Here are two more hints:

Mid distance:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/Scan-080124-0024.jpg

Far:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/Scan-080124-0021.jpg

Interesting that vignetting only happen on medium to far distance,
but close up is fine, although still not covering the full format.

To shorten the, um, tale, my ultimate goal is to adapt the 28/2.8 PC
(if needed be) to the XPan WITH RF-focusing. Why not just use the
Fuji/Hassy 30mm? I have the 30mm, and it's very good and all but it's
F5.6 and more like F9-F11 when the center filter is used (which is
highly recommended). If I can get the 28/2.8 to work, I am 4 stops ahead.

After 6-8 months of pestering many people, I have finally gotten a
shop (which specializes in this sort of things) to see if they can
build a RF CAM. The 50 Summicron is for a prototype to see if the
idea can be made to work. I am pleasantly surprised that, as some of
you wrote earlier, that the 50/2 has a rather large image circle, 75%
or so of the XPan requirement. I know for sure that the 28 PC's image
circle is large enough, but it would be even sweeter if the Elmarit's
image circle is large enough as it is a much smaller lens. I sort of
doubt it, but one can hope and dream!

I also understand that the 28 PC is really a Schneider lens, so if I
go down that route, I'd probably find a non-mounted version and have
the machine shop build a custom mount... We will see..

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] R10? That's so pedestrian... Info on 28/2.8 still wanted...)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] R10? That's so pedestrian... Info on 28/2.8 still wanted...)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] R10? That's so pedestrian... Info on 28/2.8 still wanted...)