Subject: [Leica] Walt - all kidding aside
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jan 23 12:32:28 2008

It's not the search its the flashlight

I think what this tread is all about is not our affinity to the darkroom.
But to general photography. The doing of it.
I say this because over the years I've discovered a thing which tends to
often be the case in this scenario:
Most of the people who having spent years with a  photography hobby and
nothing to show for it from the darkroom and basically nothing to show for
it at all except "had that, sold it!" stories of gear come and gone...

They oddly don't have any SLIDE PAGES either.

And we don't have to understand the secrets of contrast and Dektol dilutions
to be able to sort a yellow packet of Kodachrome we get back from the
drugstore and put them into a plastic page.  Or Ektagraphic tray.
Plenty of consummate photographers don't have a stack of prints to show you.
But they do have a stack of slide pages.

If you don't - lets face it - you had time to buy and sell the gear but not
the slightly inclination to spend ten seconds looking at it.

Now its just a matter of deciding which captures to upload to a pre
formatted gallery.
Many photo geeks can't lower themselves to do that either -
 they're too busy watching the EBay prices.

What I want to know is this:
Why cant people just ADMIT IT?
Why cant they say "I like to buy and sell cameras"
That's what I like to do!!
Photography!? No thank you! Cameras yes!
What's so bad about that? People collect flashlights or cereal boxes they
don't have to pretend they USE THEM.

Do flashlight collectors join newsgroups of people who search for things?

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Walt - all kidding aside)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Walt - all kidding aside)