Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Jan 14 10:05:31 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Ted Grant wrote:

> great potential for members to
> learn something from the experiences of others, then turn the whole
> damn
> subject into a high school babblefest. Shame!

Ted, far more folks read this list than interact on it. I feel
confident that a good number of folks have heard your lesson(s) and
have learned what they need, and are ready for, from them. Other's
have said to themselves, "yeah, that's pretty much how I
work." (which was my reaction to your specific description of working
a room unobtrusively.)

Another thing that I find myself doing almost intuitively: When folks
do "see" me and start hamming and posing for the camera - I simply
take the camera away from my eye and/or point it in another
direction. The message: "if you can't ignore me - you're not a
subject I'm interested in." Very quickly the folks get the message
and forget about trying to make pretty for my photography. However,
this does not become a rule. Sometimes they'll cast a glance in such
a way that - click - that's the photo - thank you very much. There
are no rules in this game. We each approach our subjects in ways
which work (or not). We learn from our mistakes as well as our
successes.

When the student is ready the teacher appears.

Fond regards,
George
george@imagist.com
www.imagist.com