Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 12 18:45:42 2008

Somebody standing in a room with a camera is like a Hippo in your kitchen.
You can pretend you don't know its there. But there's no ignoring the
peanuts on its breath.
We don't have to pose pictures to alter behavior.
The fact that all behaviour changes when a motion picture camera or video
camera is in the room is a given.
But a still camera is thought of as so low key as to blend in.
That's not been my experience and observation.
Even lowly "event" photographers know this.
All eyes are on you at all times. They're just looking the other way.
I think people learn play the game of   "lets ignore the photographer while
we all pretend we're doing real things" but its just a fun game their
playing.
Even in those insipid documentary's real life real time whatever with a
whole house bugged with micro robot cameras in the corners of the ceiling
everyone at all times are "on".

Me I wake up at night open the refrigerator  the light comes on and I'm good
for 20 minutes. The old soft shoe. Patter song. Few jokes.

Don't I look just like myself?

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (bd@bdcolenphoto.com) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)