Subject: [Leica] IMG: Friday Flower (ric jan 11)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jan 11 10:20:15 2008

Hi Ric,

Don't take this personally because you are on the right track. However! :-(

A note to Philippe first who said:

"And very elegant too. Nice soft tones. Graceful composition. I like it.<<<

Philippe the soft tones maybe nice, but the leading edges of the flower are
out of focus adding to the overall "soft look!"

Now Ric:

Because the flower is playing the lead role in this photograph the closest
edge to lens petal must be the sharpest edged. And I don't think you
should've clipped the nearest petal because that spoils the symmetry of the
petals and whole flower! With the leading edge sharp then the image can
slowly drop off softly out of focus to the back edge. Not as you have here,
"soft focus front" going sharper to the back edge of the leaf.

As nice as it might look, it isn't visually right! Sorry mate! What you've
created is a visual where eyes try to put in focus the leading edge of the
petals simply because the flower is the key part of the photo.

You just happened to focus in the wrong spot.

Is this a nit picking comment? No! It's a comment that hopefully you'll see
the error.

The out of focus edges aren't acting as a framing as though you were
shooting through them where it would probably be acceptable.

Hopefully this works for you.

ted

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] IMG: Friday Flower (ric jan 11))