Subject: [Leica] Photographing food
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jan 7 16:09:38 2008

> Yes, sorry for not having been more specific. We're thinking of publishing
> cookbook, and we're planning what the food shots will look like.  With
> similar projects in the past we used a specialized food photographer, who
> knew several arcane tricks (make of that what you will) so that various
> dishes looked almost unnaturally appetizing.  This person is not available
> for this project, so we'll probably use a more generalist photographer, but
> I'd like to have as many ideas as I can to help him out.  D/

The major impact on many food shots is just like fashion shots the STYLIST.
If the photographer picked out the stylist that in many cases is their major
contribution to the shoot. That and getting the shot in focus and making
coffee for everybody.
But really lighting.
But often not. As the style now seems to be very anti style.
It sounded like you were doing the shots yourself if you were I'd say try
testing out a  food stylist whose portfolio you looked at or website you
looked at and see how that effects  your shots. And maybe use natural light
coming in the window. Make prints right off the bat to use as in effect
extended polaroids.

High end cookbooks now often use an anti style of shooting which looks like
they had their kid do it with a point and shoot.  Highly selective thin
depth of field and natural lighting. This has gotten very successful,
prevalent and I've gotten used to seeing and liking it and so has every one
else it seems to me. Its affected everyone's perception of  professional
food photography.
Of course if you were going with a good photographer they'd know that and
know to not make there stuff looked "too good". Too slick. It should be an
optional look they could employ. Making the shots look off the cuff like
people are shooting stuff real quick before they eat it. That's just often
what people now are up for looking at. And that's what you may indeed be
reacting against. After a few years well be in the mood again for "slick"
food photography right now its pretty much OUT.

I've been asked to make my stuff look like snapshots every once in a while
throughout my life and so has any photographer.
Its an interesting challenge.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from bernardofeio at yahoo.com.br (bernardo feio) ([Leica] IMG- Istambul)