Subject: [Leica] Shooting digitally and batteries
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sun Dec 30 08:22:52 2007

Hi Frank,

The first thing you want to do is check the date code of the
batteries. It's a 4 digit code and signifies YYMM. Be suspicious of
anything 5 years or older. The code is located just below the screw
that holds the battery cover to the battery. When I bought my D1H,
used, it came with two batteries, 0209 and 9912. Even after a refresh
the 0209 battery wouldn't hold a charge for more then 10 shots. It
would show fully charged when you first put it in the camera. The
older battery fared better and would last for maybe 100 shots and
then suddenly die. It would recover after 5 minutes with the camera
off and then maybe shoot 3 or 4 more shots.

I would charge all the batteries and then let them sit for a couple
of weeks. Then shoot off maybe 50 shots with a few chimps thrown in
and see if the battery still shows full charge immediately
afterwards. I ended buying a new battery from B&H last year. But
they're not cheap. But now I need a spare. I hope you have at least a
couple good ones.

Regards,
Len