Subject: [Leica] Leica Oskar Barnack Award (LOBA)
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov)
Date: Sat Dec 29 21:57:41 2007

Their meaning for "professional" is not necessarily our rigid
commercial term. In their case it can also be applied to the gallery
exhibiting photographer. From looking at the work of the past
selections, it appears to be driven as a support for the by now banal
notion of "the concerned photographer".
I lived in Germany for a short period of time. But the experience
from that time still drives my perception of their actions and
intent. I always tilt with that historical factor in mind.
Curiously, the awards consistently focus on the dehumanization of the
"other", i.e. non-Germanic peoples. In a way, with an almost
accusatory mirror that says "see how they dehumanize themselves". Of
course to give the essays validation, and a distance by which to
deflect criticism (which could be accusations of outright racism),
the selectees are mostly third party, i.e. non-German photographers.
I've yet to see the camera award credibly, i.e. as critically, point
at the German nation itself. In the same vein, essays, now a
generation old, that dealt with the former People's Republic of East
Germany are no exception, as their emphasis was to support the notion
of what would take place with prolonged contact with the cultures and
peoples of the east. No matter how rewritten the past, the issues
over that conundrum just won't go away.
I'm certain that these essays will one day be abandoned and be seen
as an embarrassment.
s.d.