Subject: Olden Camera [was Re: [Leica] About Photo Arsenal on eBay
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Sat Dec 29 16:21:13 2007

It really was a remarkable place.  There was just so much *stuff* up
there on the second floor.  They seemed to have an inexhaustible
supply of everything photographic.  Behind that long curving counter
there all kinds of film, and lots of exotic cameras ready for
inspection, and off to the left on a separate counter dozens of
enlargers ready for checkout.

Buying used, which I often did with them, they'd invite you behind the
counter to point the rangefinder you were considering at a skylight
through which you could focus on the top of the Empire State Building
to check the infinity setting.

There's nothing like it around anymore, a shame.  My local Calumet
sometimes seems close in presentation of gear, but has none of that
gritty NYC backroom atmosphere that seems to say only we've got what
you want and we're ready to deal.

Sigh! Nostalgia...  an affliction of age.  :-))

It also makes me think of Radio Row, another of my youthful haunts,
but don't get me going on that...

Regards,

Dick