Subject: [Leica] 1936 Summar
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri Dec 28 18:15:03 2007

On Christmas day I had a chance to use my 1936 Summar on the M6.  Two
examples are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/paswango/Xmas07/photo#5149207962939863922 (and
the one following)

Both of these are moderate crops.  Both were shot at f/3.2, and both have
significant light sources (windows) in the background.  My Summar is coated
and not as prone to flare as the uncoated ones, but still not ideal for
contra-jour shooting.  The first sample here showed very little flare, which
was completely eliminated with auto-levels.  The second was heavily flared
but again, a touch of auto-levels cleared most of it up.  My point is that
the shortcomings of these older lenses can sometimes be remedied with PS.
No sharpening was applied by me, although I can't speak for the drugstore
Fuji Frontier operator.

I realize that not everyone here likes these oldies but to me they're fun to
use and have a distinctive look.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE