Subject: [Leica] PAW questions...From a new, oldster...
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun Dec 16 16:37:38 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Fred Holzapfel wrote:

> HI, I've lurked around for well over a year.  Learned a lot just
> reading the
> posts.  I've got both film Lecias (IIF & IIIC) and V-Lux , D-Lux 3
> and C-Lux
> 2.  I'm getting close to trying to get to myself the discipline to
> try and
> take on a PAW in 2008.

GREAT! Jump in, the water's fine!

>   Has past practice been to post a photo to the LUG
> once a week for comment or do you just make yourself an album?

Make an album, and post links here each week.

>   I'd think
> posting once a week would really give an opportunity to improve and
> perhaps
> learn a bit.   I don't see that one needs too "thick of a skin" to
> post to
> LUG.  You all seem to be very constructive and helpful, generally,
> in your
> comments.

Only rarely gets rowdy or rude;^)

>  Trying to decide which pictures from the past year should go to
> Jim for the 2007 Annual.

me, too

> What is the typical practice to take this (PAW) learning challenge
> on?  Is
> it best to focus on one topic or is it better to broaden your
> perspective?

Whatever makes you happy. I'd have trouble staying on one topic
(always have). I even decided to do a year's negatives from 25 years
ago in addition to current PAW.

> I'm just looking for some advice before I start this.  I expect to
> learn a
> fair amount and improve my skills.   Lastly, do most of you use a
> commercial
> site such as "Flicker", Shutterbug, Kodak or the Leica Gallery for
> your
> photos, or do you have a web site you use?

Leica Gallery is commercial grade, but free.
Visit:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org>
<http://tinyurl.com/2p7fm6>
Visit, click register, and set up a free album. Here's where we all
take a long, deep bow to our benefactor Brian Reid.

> Thanks for taking a few moments to answer my query.  I'm open to any
> advice
> or suggestions.  Merry Christmas to all of you.  You are a good
> bunch for
> sharing and helping to improve the state of photography.

Happy Holidays!!