Subject: [Leica] LUG BOOK 2006. :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 15 18:47:01 2007

Steve Barbour offered:

"This all makes me wish very much that the FOM2 book could eventually see
the light of day...

That incredible collection of photos,  goes back 5-10 years...a competition
that lasted 5 years...! a juried set of winning photos that really has got
to be published somehow.<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi  Steve,

I know Alistair and others put a great deal of time into this 5 year
collection and it's a shame nothing has ever been done with it.

I know Alistair has gone farther than most would in trying to make some kind
of book or international exhibition happen. Let's say it hasn't been for
lack of trying every trick in the book!

If he hasn't yet done so maybe one last shot at the new owner of Leica as a
commemorative book or international traveling exhibition when they open the
new plant returned to Wetzlar. Whenever that is next year? Or 2009, but it
is happening.

Many newbies on the LUG have no idea what this series is about, quite
frankly having been one of many judges around the world working on the
selection, this final collection is far better then the "Family of Man" from
the early '50's that became a major exhibition at MOMA in New York.

The unfortunate part is that MOMA, if this is the case, didn't see the value
in such a collection as a look at the world 50 plus years later from the
original. WHY? We didn't have any Robert Capa's and other great name
shooters of LIFE etc. from those early 1950 days entered.

But what we did have were real everyday photographers shooting beautiful
images of the world as it was during the first 5 years of the new
millennium! A terrible error on MOMA's part not to grab onto it and show a
statement of the changes over 50 years.

You see these kinds of things happen because you have over educated
university people with no simple folk experience running a big museum! NO
BIG NAMES? Not worth doing anything with it! PITY!

Maybe the new owner of Leica will have the fore sight and appreciate what
sits before him as an incredible marketing tool and tribute to the Leica
camera for the new Leica users of the future and those of the past.

ted

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] LUG BOOK 2006. :-))