Subject: [Leica] Trip to India - Suggestions?
From: alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal)
Date: Sat Dec 15 12:01:07 2007

Five weeks is a long time; you will certainly get more than a flavour of the
country.  Herewith, a few suggestions.

1.    Take with you a 6x9 or  6x12 camera with shifts if you intend to take
photos of monuments. A 35mm camera with a wide angle lens is not adequate to
do justice to these structures IMHO. No need to take a view camera, Horseman
makes a shift camera that is quite portable. If you don't want to do this,
take at least a 28 mm shift lens for your R.

2.    Ride the trains. If you are adventurous, and your husband is with you,
try third class. The photo opportunities are endless and you will almost
never get turned down if you ask to take a fellow rider's picture.

3.   Look after your health. Avios dodgy food at roadside stands and small
restaurants. Drink only purified water. Take one of those portable plunger
pump type water purifiers based on ceramic micro filters and activated
charcoal - I forget what they are called - that were originally designed for
military use. They will even make  ditchwater  safe to drink.

4. Buy yourself  some decent guide books. The Blue Guides are my faves, but
there are others.

5. What to see? The old momuments, the Taj the temples -  Khajurao comes to
mind, the Red Fort and others, the caves at Ajanta and Ellora. Many others,
as time permits.

6. Take a cruise on the waterways  in Kerala, lush and very photogenic.